Saturday 15 October 2016

Making a Piñata Using Cardboard Boxes

Now it’s something we can all agree on. A birthday party may have everything including a cake, presents, and balloons but without piñata, the party can never be termed as fulfilling. Here, I am going to admit that when my daughter asked me to buy her a piñata as a birthday present, I just didn’t want to spend money. Instead, I got an idea when I saw loads of cardboard boxes present in my house. Since my birthday girl asked for a pony shaped piñata because she is quite inspired by wooden Swedish dala horse that I have, I started using those cardboard boxes in the way YouTube tutorials guided me and it was done in a few hours.


Before jumping to the guide that I followed to make this wonderful present, I want to assure you that this DIY task is very convenient and it doesn’t take more than a few hours. In fact, I was so involved while making it that I didn’t have any idea about the time I spent on the task.


Here’s the list of items you’ll need to build a piñata.
  • One or two cardboard boxes
  • Masking tape
  • Pencil
  • Tissue paper
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Lollypops or candies
  • String for hanging 


Below are the tips that you can follow to make a wonderful piñata.
  1. Use pen or pencil to draw desired shape of piñata on one side of the box. Start cutting the box upon the outline. After getting the cardboard cut into the shape from one side, use this cardboard to draw same shape on the other side of the box.
  2. Cut that side in the way as mentioned in previous tip.
  3. If one or both sides include a bend (like a bent section that differentiates box side and the flap), cut a piece of cardboard and attach it across the bent section to keep the side straight and strong.
  4. Now cut the cardboard to make strips. The width of these strips would be the width of piñata. So it’s up to you how wider piñata you want to make.
  5. Get the strips ready by loosening them up very gently.
  6. Now start attaching the strips with the edges of one of the piñata shaped cardboards. While you attach the strip, apply the masking tape consistently in order to keep shape of strip intact.
  7. Strip might run out and there would be more of the side to cover, so start attaching the other strip. Tape the connecting points of both strips.
  8. Whatever the number of strips you need to use, use them and make sure that all of the edges are covered.
  9. Put the other side of piñata on the side with strips and tape it. The piñata structure should be completed now.
  10. Get fringe and tissue papers and cut them into strips. Start gluing them from the bottom and move upward. Make sure that upper strips overlap the ones glued below.
There it is. Now you can color the strips using different shapes to make piñata presentable.

No comments:

Post a Comment